CRACK CANYON

MARCH 2008

CLIFF WALL IN CRACK CANYON
ALONG THE ROAD TO CRACK CANYON
CRACK CANYON NARROWS

Crack Canyon is a pleasant six-mile round-trip hike located in the San Rafael Swell. The trailhead is located behind the reef, via a well-maintained dirt road. While not the most spectacular canyon in the area, it is enjoyable to walk down. There is a marker at the trailhead and the route to the canyon is easy to follow. The path passes between towering cliffs and does have a nice narrows section. When I hiked Crack Canyon in March of 2008, I had the entire canyon to myself. The weather was perfect. A rope is not necessary, but it could be helpful. While I was there, two ropes had been left along the path at spots where there were small drop-offs. I was able to descend them fine, but on the return trip I ended up taking an alternate path marked with cairns leading me around one of the obstacles I was having difficulties with.