DING & DANG CANYONS

MARCH 2010

CHOCK STONE IN DING CANYON
DING DANG DOME
DING CANYON
DING CANYON


Ding and Dang Canyons make a great loop hike in the San Rafael Swell. The trailhead is located just a couple miles past the trailhead to Little Wild Horse Canyon. Bring good directions, as there are no signs marking these canyons, just an unmarked pull-out at a bend in the road. From the parking area, follow the dry stream bed for about a mile before it forks right in front of the reef. Head right and go up Ding Canyon. You will soon enter some cool narrows. After a while the canyon will open up and you will emerge behind the reef. Turn left to get to Dang Canyon. Along the way you will pass by Ding Dang Dome. Dang is not quite as nice as Ding, but it is still interesting. It does require more work than Ding and has several minor drop-offs. The steepest drop had a rope to help me down when I visited in March of 2010. Even though it is not the most amazing slot canyon in the area, I really enjoyed this hike. Because it is less popular, I was able to have it all to myself when I visited.