CATHEDRAL VALLEY

NOVEMBER 2007

TEMPLE OF THE SUN

TEMPLE OF THE MOON

TEMPLE OF THE MOON

Cathedral Valley is a place I had always wanted to visit since I first saw pictures of it in a tourism brochure advertising Capitol Reef. So while visiting Capitol Reef in November of 2007, I decided to take a drive out to it. While some maps will say a high-clearance vehicle is required to drive the road to Lower Cathedral Valley, where the Temple of the Sun and Moon are located, I was able to make it in a Toyota Corolla. There is more than one way to reach Lower Cathedral Valley, but I took the road heading north off of Highway 24 just west of Caineville. This road is not well-advertised, so you will need to watch closely for it. 

From the turn-off, it is about 17 miles to the Temple of the Sun and Moon. No hiking is required, as the road takes you right up to them. While I made it in a Corolla, I remember the road being pretty rough, so use caution if you are in a low-clearance vehicle. Lower Cathedral Valley was beautiful. I arrived at the Temple of the Sun and Moon at sunset and had the entire area to myself.