SHORT CANYON

JANUARY 2022

WAVY HANDS

SHORT CANYON ROCK ART

SHORT CANYON PICTOGRAPHS

SHORT CANYON ROCK ART

SHORT CANYON ROCK ART

SHORT CANYON ROCK ART


Short Canyon is an area near Molen Reef which contains several interesting petroglyphs and pictographs. To access the canyon, you will turn north from Moore Cutoff Road onto a dirt road near mile marker eight, about a half-mile east of The Juggler rock art site. You will follow this road north for 2.4 miles and make a left. This road was a bit rough, as it made several sharp dips for stream crossings. I made it an Escape okay, but it could be difficult in a lower-clearance vehicle. 

After turning left, the dirt road continues for another 1.5 miles. If you make it to the end of the road, the hike to the rock art is only about one mile. However, I decided to park after about a half-mile when the road got a bit rough, which added an extra mile each way to my hike. I didn't mind the extra walk, as I was still a bit stressed out from the first rough section of road, and it was a very peaceful evening. I had the entire place to myself when I visited in January of 2022. 

From the end of the dirt road, it is about a half-mile to a panel high up on the canyon wall to the right, and about a half-mile further to a series of petroglyphs and pictographs located along the walls of a small amphitheater coming off to the right of the main canyon. There was some fun artwork in this area, including the famous Wavy Arms pictograph, and wall of pictographs which had been tagged over by a series of more recent petroglyphs.