FERRON BOX

 JANUARY 2022

SANDAL PETROGLYPHS

SANDAL PETROGLYPHS

SANDAL PETROGLYPHS

SANDAL PETROGLYPHS

SANDAL PETROGLYPHS

FERRON BOX PETROGLYPHS

FERRON BOX ROCK ART
FERRON BOX PETROGLYPHS
FERRON BOX PETROGLYPHS

Ferron Box is a nice walk through the desert to some interesting rock art sites just outside the town of Ferron, Utah. From Highway 10 you will drive about 7.5 miles east on Molen and Molen Cutoff Roads until you come to to a steep, rocky road going up a hill on the left. I parked along the side of Molen Cutoff Road and made my way up the hill. 

Be careful when you get to the top of the hill. There are three roads branching off here, and I mistakenly took the one on the right. It turns out I should have taken the middle road (the one on the left should also get you there). I got pretty far off course, and added a couple extra miles to my hike. I ended up overshooting the Ferron Box Panels pretty bad, but was able to find them on my way back with the help of the maps app on my phone which showed the sharp bend in Ferron Creek where the panel are located. I remember seeing a coyote on the other side of the creek along this stretch.  

The Ferron Box Panels are really nice, but I didn't realize how high up on the cliff the main panels were. I'd forgotten to bring my camera, so I was only able to take pictures of them with my phone, which doesn't zoom very well. So I was a bit frustrated with how blurry they turned out. After seeing the main panels, you can follow along the cliff a bit further to another set. 

From the Ferron Box Panels, it is only about a half-mile walking above Ferron Creek to the Sandal Petroglyphs, which are just off the dirt road at the point where it bends away from the creek. I was really impressed with this area. There were lots of sandal and snake-like petroglyphs carved on the surfaces of the rocks along the ground which were fun to look for. It made for a great lunch location. 

I then continued on up the road a little over a half-mile to the Boulder Petroglyphs, which were located in a small alcove just off the road, which appear to show a hunting scene. While my hike started off a bit rough, it ended well. I was the only one there when I visited in January of 2022, with the exception of some antelope, jack rabbits and a coyote, which made for a very quiet, peaceful walk.